A far-reaching impact: Read OPIC's latest Annual Policy Report
OPIC recently published its Annual Policy Report for 2016 showing how the 80 projects OPIC committed last year will advance our mission. These new projects are projected to:
- Create more than 10,000 permanent host country jobs over five years
- Support $4.5 billion in the local procurement of goods and services
- Add major new infrastructure, including a 33 megawatt (MW) thermal power plant
In addition to these host country benefits, the report highlights the ways that OPIC projects benefit the American economy by supporting U.S. jobs and leading to procurement of goods and services from the United States. Most of the new projects OPIC committed also involve an American small business.
The report also highlights the way OPIC projects continue to support women entrepreneurs. Historically, OPIC-supported projects have led to:
- Over 200,000 microfinance/SME loans for women
- Over 11,000 consumer loans for women
- Nearly 100,000 insurance contracts for women
- Over 900 equipment leasing contracts for women
- 54 equity investments for women.
In 2016, OPIC launched its Development Outcomes Initiative to provide an additional level of evaluation for a select group of projects with the goal of examining the broader impacts.
Projects evaluated last year include:
- The Quiport Airport in Ecuador which was built with the support of OPIC financing
- An investment fund (Siraj) and a not-for-profit (Middle East Investment Initiative) that have used OPIC financing to support SMEs in the West Bank
- The Alistair James Logistics and Shipping Co. received OPIC financing to support the expansion of its regional logistics business in Tanzania.
Read the full Annual Policy Report here