News in Impact Investing
Impact investing: More than a buzzword
With all the buzz surrounding impact investing, perhaps it is best to go back to the basics and define what can be a powerful mechanism for sustainable development. OPIC’s President and CEO Elizabeth Littlefield talked to the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) about Impact Investing and why categorizing of these projects is essential. Read more.
Measuring and managing impact investments
You can’t manage what you don’t measure. OPIC President and CEO Elizabeth Littlefield explains how this fundamental rule of business applies to impact investing. Read more.
Six questions about Impact Investing
“Socially responsible investing has evolved to the point that investors want to do more than ensure that their capital is used in ways that do no harm. They want to see that they are using their capital to make a positive social contribution.” Read more.
Putting the “Impact” in Investing
“Every dollar that we catalyze from the private sector to invest in development is one more dollar that does not need to be spent by the public sector or philanthropists and can be shifted to other priorities or back to the taxpayer.” Read more.
Impact Investing Project Highlights
- Hamma Water Desalination: Bringing drinking water to the desert
- Sambazon: Making trees in the rainforest "too valuable to cut down"
- Terra Global: Protecting Cambodian forests
- Bringing clean drinking water to rural India: Healthpoint Services Global
- Sustainable Solutions for the Poor: Global Partnerships
- Delivering quality, affordable healthcare in Pakistan: Aga Khan Hospital and Medical College
- Higher Education Finance Fund: Helping make college affordable in Latin America
- Building Affordable, Sustainable Homes: Broad Cove Ecohomes Liberia
Enterprise Development Network for Impact Investment
The Enterprise Development Network (EDN) is a strategic alliance among public and private sector organizations that was established with the assistance of OPIC. Through a growing network of organizations around the world, EDN is designed to bring together the vast resources essential to attract capital (debt & equity) and political risk insurance for small- and medium-sized enterprises pursuing business opportunities in developing countries. The network includes impact investors that can be found by searching the online database.