OPIC’s Political Violence coverage compensates investors for equity assets (including property) and income losses caused by:
- Declared or undeclared war
- Hostile actions by national or international forces
- Revolution, insurrection, and civil strife
- Terrorism and sabotage
OPIC pays compensation for two types of losses:
- Assets: Damage to covered tangible assets; and
- Business Income: Income losses resulting from damage to assets of the foreign enterprise caused by political violence/terrorism.
Investors may purchase one or both coverages. In addition, OPIC can provide coverage for:
- Evacuation expenses
- Temporary abandonment: Income losses if the political violence causes the evacuation or forced abandonment of a project
- Offsite riders: OPIC can compensate for income losses resulting from damage to specific sites outside the insured facility, such as a critical railway spur, power station, or supplier
Political risk insurance at work: Helping a Rwandan business recover after political violence
The Sorwathe Tea Plantation and processing facility in Rwanda was built in 1978 by one of the first U.S. investors in Rwanda, and rebuilt with the support of OPIC political risk insurance following a devastating civil war in the 1990s.Today, the facility purchases tea leaves from thousands of small farmers around the country, generating an important source of income for the local population. In 2012, the U.S. State Department honored the project with an Award for Corporate Excellence (ACE) for its support of numerous corporate initiatives, including sustainable forestry and water management and the production of environmentally responsible high quality tea.
For inquiries about OPIC political risk insurance, please call toll-free number 877-654-3611.