Skip to main content

Who can request a problem-solving consultation?

A Request for Problem-solving Consultation may be filed with the Office of Accountability by:
  • members of the local community who are, or are likely to be, materially, directly and adversely affected by an OPIC-supported project, or their authorized representative; or
  • the project sponsor.

If a request is made through a representative, the people on whose behalf it is made must be clearly identified and evidence of the nature and extent of representative authority must be provided. Where there is clear evidence that there is no adequate or appropriate representation in the country where the project is located, and explicit evidence of representative authority is provided to OPIC, a non-local representative may file the request.

If members of the local community are concerned about disclosure of their identity, they can request that their details be kept confidential. The Office of Accountability does not accept anonymous requests. Confidentiality should be requested at the time of filing and a reason must be provided.

When can you request a problem-solving consultation?

The project must be an OPIC-supported project. A project is OPIC-supported when OPIC has clearly indicated interest in financing or insuring the project. Such indication is ordinarily provided when a commitment letter is issued or insurance contract is signed. OPIC support ends with final disbursement.

Prior to filing the request, the requester must have made good faith efforts to bring the problem to OPIC’s attention and/or to the attention of the sponsor or local community. The requester will need to show that s/he has worked with OPIC and/or the project sponsor or local community to try to address the problem.

How to file a request for problem-solving consultation

Requests for problem-solving consultation must be written in English or the native language of the requesters and should include the following information:
  • The requester’s identity and contact information.
  • The identity, contact information and credentials of any representative, and evidence of the nature and scope of the representative authority.
  • Whether the requester wishes his/her identity and/or information provided to the Office of Accountability to be kept confidential, giving reasons.
  • The nature and location of the project that is the subject of the request for consultation, the identity of the project sponsor, and whether the project is supported by OPIC.
  • A clear statement of the way in which the requesters have been or are likely to be affected by the project.
  • A succinct statement of efforts to resolve the problem, including the identity of the parties involved in, and relevant times of, those efforts, and specifically any contact with the sponsor, OPIC or the government.
  • A precise statement of how the requesters would like to see the problem resolved.
  • Any other relevant facts (any supporting documents or relevant materials should be attached).

Where to send a problem-solving request

Requests should be filed with the Office of Accountability at OPIC offices in Washington, DC. Requests will be accepted by mail, fax, e-mail and hand delivery. If you fax or e-mail your request, you must still send an original copy with original signatures by mail. For all enquiries about the Office of Accountability, please contact:

Director, Office of Accountability
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
1100 New York Ave., NW
Washington DC 20527
Tel. 1-202-336-8543
Fax 1-202-408-5133