Environmental and Social Review
OPIC's Environmental and Social Policy Statement (ESPS) ensures that the projects it supports are environmentally and socially sustainable. For details on the screening and review process, view Section 2 ("Screening and Categorization") and Section 3 ("Environmental and Social Review") of the OPIC Environmental and Social Policy Statement.
Projects that are likely to have significant adverse environmental or social impacts that are sensitive, diverse, or unprecedented in the absence of mitigation measures are disclosed to the public for a comment period of 60 days. Click here to view the sensitive projects that are currently under consideration for OPIC support. As part of OPIC's consideration for human rights impact, OPIC works in close consultation with the U.S. Department of State before committing to a project.
The revised ESPS was approved on January 13, 2017 after a two-year process of consultation and review. This revised policy reflects OPIC's continued focus on the environmental and social performance of its portfolio and builds on the agency's commitment to transparency and accountability. We as an agency view the environmental and social policies and performance of our portfolio as integral to the development impact that we strive to achieve with our work.
During the policy revision, OPIC hosted several meetings and invited recommendations from civil society, non-governmental organizations, and the business community. This engagement actively informed the proposed revisions, including:
- Updated text to reflect updated financial intermediary procedures that enable faster approval of lower risk investments
- Emphasis placed on risk-based analysis which will enable OPIC to utilize faster and less complicated procedures for small investments
- More transparent presentation of how OPIC addresses human rights concerns in review and monitoring of projects
- Updated GHG accounting methods to reflect Congressional directives to enable greater ability to support thermal power retrofits
OPIC will now proceed in updating its procedures to reflect changes in the guiding policies. In updating these procedures, we will consider the specific input received from our stakeholders during the ESPS revision process. The finalized updated procedures will also be made available on OPIC's website.
- Environmental and Social Policies
- Environmental and Social Project Documents
- Greenhouse Gas Accounting Reports
- Renewable Energy Guidelines
- Archived Documents